The Operating systems that works for the various Apple products are known as i-OS. It is a specially designed; multiple featured operating system that enables iPhone, iPod and iPad to carry out in-built functions. This version replaced the earlier system: i-OS 5.1.1. The latest version was introduced in June 2012, following two products that worked on this system namely, iPhone 5 and iPod touch. Here is a brief look at new features of i-OS 6.
The recently launched operating system has claimed to have a lot of advanced characteristics and amazing additions as compared to the previous models. The company had assured the people about smooth functioning and nice results about this version. Following are some of the major features of this invented product:
- Maps –The newly added attraction to this version is Apple Maps. These are the carefully described and designed tools, helpful for the users to find their way to various places. This feature has been turned in a way that the path shows in an upward direction. It has changed the method of viewing and searching a location. This application is based on the vector method. This type of engine keeps text into small format by zooming and providing clear view of the graphics. Even if you rotate the view, the names of places will not change. Thus, the user can identify the locations easily. It provides a turn-by turn navigation, which provides spoken directions to reach a particular place in addition to 3D views and traffic information. If traffic has been stuck to one place, Maps gives alternative routes to save your time.
- Siri – It is a voice modification which uses your voice to send messages or arrange meetings. It imitates your voice and plans your schedule as per your wish by sending voice directions. It is an intelligent responsive system, which learns the way you talk, the accent which you use frequently. You just have to place questions for the siri, and it will find out appropriate places like restaurants, stadiums, pubs, etc. If you organize your day schedule, this system reminds you about timings and venues of meetings. The company is trying to collaborate with car producers to incorporate siri in their product. It will enable the user to monitor the events by keeping their eyes free of the phone, as only their voice will be sufficient to execute different tasks like calling, messaging, listening music, arranging music, finding places, etc.
- Integrated Facebook application – As i-OS 5 was having twitter connection, this new version contains Facebook application. A user need not leave App to log in facebook account. You can directly share a photo or post a comment from camera album or game center. Siri can post it for you, if you cannot handle the phone. The phone calendar will store birthdays and events on Facebook, while contacts will have direct connection with friends on your social network account.
- Passbook –This feature has been made available in the iPhone and iPod touch. It acts as a digital wallet for tickets, passes and boarding tickets. These passes are updated as per the changes that are made. Also, they appear on screen if you pass a specific location as airport or mall, to remind you about the date and time of flight, remaining balance on your starbucks card, etc. They appear on the locked screen with enhanced lightning on display, to let you know about the reminders. Various companies like American airlines, Luftansa, Fandago have been collaborated with this App to make their booking details available for users.
- Face-time – This application has been extended to the networks like Wi-Fi and other cellular connections. Therefore, a user can receive Facetime calls wherever he goes. Also, the operating system enables you to call while you are using your iPad. This application allows you to have an actual touch with friends while you talk to them.
- Safari – The browsing on your Apple product becomes quite easier now. Full screen mode is available on your iPhone and iPod. The tab iCloud has been connected to i-OS devices and Macs. It saves the pages which have been viewed by keeping track of them. Also, this application has been modified to post photos and posts directly from camera roll of the phone. For reading purpose, you are provided with the "reading list" and "bookmarks".
- Phone modifications – The new system gives many options when a user is unable to receive a call. A customer can either send messages or put them on the do not disturb mode. Also, the phone provides facility to set reminders to call the missed numbers later, if the user is busy at that moment. Phone icon comes on the lock screen for additional functioning, like the camera icon. Another addition is the white themed UI that has been used for the new dial pad.
The new features of i-OS 6 have received a mixed reaction. Some critics have found this system complicated and difficult to manage, while some have appreciated its functioning. As per the company statistics and reports, the overall response has been good in economical terms. For the old customers, this version of operating system is available for downloading.